Our Records Section also processes Concealed Weapon Permits. You may pick up the application and instructions from the front desk at the Sheriff's Office. To apply for a permit you will need:
• Application (click here for a pdf version)
• Applicant fingerprint card. NOTE: Fingerprints must be completed by a Law Enforcement Agency within Bonner County.
• Fingerprinting is available in the jail on Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.; Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m..
• There is a $15.00 fee. You will need cash in the exact amount, as we are not able to provide change.
• Proof of NRA firearms training/military training/law enforcement training; hunter safety course.
The fee for the background check is $39.75 and will be collected at the time you turn in your application. The license is $22.70 and will be collected from the Driver's License Office when your permit is issued. Please note: As of July 24, 2015, these fees have been adjusted to revised state level requirements.
The permit expires in five (5) years. You may renew up to three months prior to your expiration date. You will need to fill out the application again and turn it into the front desk with $20.00. The permit will be issued from the Driver's License Office and will cost $17.70.
For a list of instructors (Click Here)
For additional information go to:http://www2.state.id.us/AG/FAQ/CONCEALEDWEAPONSPERMIT.HTM .
The following are the criteria for applying for a Retired Law Enforcement Concealed Weapons Permit with the Bonner County Sheriff's Office:
* Must meet the Federal Code, USC sec. 921-922.
* A "qualified retired law enforcement officer," as defined in Public Law 111-272, includes individuals who have separated in good standing with a government agency as a law enforcement officer for a combined fifteen (15) years.
* Must have a current and valid photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual has retired from service as a law enforcement officer.
* Must provide proof that during the most recent twelve (12) month period, the standards for qualification in firearms training for active law enforcement officers by a certified firearms instructor, has been met.
The applicant must fill out the Concealed Weapons License Application for retired Law Enforcement Officer, which must be notarized when signed and a payment of $20.00 for processing is required. The application can be found by clicking here: CWP Retired Application.
A letter will be mailed to the applicant, either letting them know if the application was approved or denied. If the application is approved, the applicant will need to go to the Bonner County Driver's License Office to have their photo taken. The permit is valid for one (1) year.
The applicant must fill out the Concealed Weapons License Application for Retired Law Enforcement Officer, which must be notarized when signed.
A letter will be mailed to the applicant, either letting them know if the application was approved or denied. If the application is approved, the applicant will need to go to the Bonner County Driver's License Office to have their photo taken and will need to pay a $12.00 fee. The permit is valid for one (1) year.
If you have any questions, please contact the front desk at (208) 263-8417 ext. 3084 or 3085.