How do I?

Bail someone out of jail?

This is basic information only. Every case is different. If you need detailed information or legal advice, please contact your attorney.

1. What is bond?

Bond (or bail) is an amount of money in cash, property, or surety bond that must be paid for an arrested person to be able to leave jail before his case is completed. The purpose of a bond is to make sure that person attends all of his required court appearances.

2. Who determines how much bond an inmate must pay?

Bond amounts for misdemeanor charges are determined by the court. Felony charges and some additional "no-bond" charges require the defendant to see a judge to have a bond amount set before being able to post bond and be released prior to court appearance.

3. What forms of payment do you accept?

The Bonner County Sheriff's Office accepts cash, cashier's check, money order or a surety bond, secured through a licensed bail bond agent.

4. Who can post bond?

Any person can post his or her own bond. If the defendant cannot affort to bond him/herself out of jail, any other person age 18 or older can post the bond.

If you don't have the cash to cover the full bond amount, you may wish to hire a professional bail bond agent, who generally charges a fee of 10% of the total amount of the bail required. Contact the bond agent directly for specific information on services and fees. All bond agents are required to be licensed by the State Department of Insurance.

5. If I bond someone out of jail, when will I get my money back?

If you post a cash bond, you may be eligible to receive some or all of your cash bond back after the case is finished and the necessary paperwork has been processed.

Idaho law, LI.C. 19-2923, allows the court to use the cash bond to pay any fines or costs that might have been imposed against the defendant. If you use a bond agent to post a surety bond, you will not get the surety bond agent's fee or the Sheriff's fee back.

6. What is a cash bond?

A cash bond is the full amount of the bond required to release a defendant from jail, paid in cash.

7. How much does a cash bond cost?

If you are posting a cash bond, you must pay the full amount of the bond.

8. How do I post a cash bond?

If you or another person can post a cash bond, you can pay the jail directly and do not need to hire a bail bond agent.

9. If I post a cash bond, will I get my money back?

If the defendant attends all required court appearances and either pleads guilty or is found guilty, by Idaho Law, I.C. 19-2923, a cash bond can be used to pay fines and costs.

If you are using your money to post a cash bond for the defendant, please tell the clerk or jailor your name and address. If you are using the defendant's own money to post the cash bond, tell the clerk or jailor that the receipt for the bond money should be made out in the defendant's name. The bond receipt should be made for the person whose money is being used for the cash bond.

10. What happens if I posted bond for a defendant and he misses court?

The judge will issue a warrant for the defendant's arrest and the bond money will be forfeited. If you posted a cash bond for the defendant, there are only two ways you can get your money back:

1. You must find the defendant and turn him or her back to the jail within 90 days of the bench warrant.

2. If the defendant is arrested and put back in jail within 90 days of the warrant, you can request your cash bond back.

Fill out the required paperwork and give it to the court. The judge will review it, and, if approved, the cash bond will be mailed back to you. If the defendant isn't found or arrested within 90 days, the court will keep all of your cash bond.

11. How do I post a property bond?

Because using your property as bond is a complicated legal matter, please contact your attorney.

12. If you have other questions -

Contact the Bonner County Sheriff's Office Jail at (208) 263-8417 EXT. 3090 or 3091.

Fingerprint hours at the Bonner County Jail:

  • Fingerprinting Hours9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays and 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Saturdays . There will be a fingerprinting fee of $15.00 cash only in the exact amount as the jail cannot make change. These hours are subject to change.

Contact an inmate?

Incoming Mail & Money

Incoming mail must list the full name and address of the sender and the intended receiver. Improperly addressed mail will be returned. The correct address is:

  • Inmate's full name
  • c/o Bonner County Jail
  • 4001 N. Boyer Road
  • Sandpoint, ID 83864

Inmate mail is subject to scanning. Incoming mail will be inspected and scanned by jail staff to check for contraband, money, escape plans, or writing that may jeopardize the security and order of the facility. Do not affix stickers to envelopes or letters.

Inmates may receive written letters and standard photographs. Polaroid photographs, stamps, envelopes, and other forwarded items are not allowed. Mail content must be thoroughly understandable by jail staff. Mail or publications containing images or depictions of sexual situations, frontal nudity, or sexual acts are prohibited. In addition, mail cannot contain:

  • Intimidation or harassment
  • Gang-related writings or drawings
  • Messages (codes) that are not easily understood
  • Plans that violate state, local, federal laws, or jail rules
  • Plans to send contraband (such as drugs) into or out of the jail

At the discretion of jail staff, mail or publications containing unauthorized references or material may be refused, confiscated, destroyed, placed in the inmate's property, or returned to the sender.

Inmates may receive newspapers, soft back books, and magazines, but they must be received directly from a publisher. Any subscription material received after an inmate leaves the jail will not be forwarded. Inmates are prohibited from subscribing to services or ordering merchandise.

Phone Calls

Inmates cannot receive phone calls while in jail. However, most inmates are allowed to purchase phone time that can be used to make outgoing phone calls.


Inmates are able to buy a variety of things from the jail commissary: candy, snacks, beverages, writing materials, shoes and clothing, provided they have sufficient funds to pay for what they order. Books are available through the Jail Chaplaincy program.

If an inmate has no money in his/her commissary account for seven (7) days prior to the request for commissary, the jail will supply him/her with necessary personal hygiene items as determined by jail staff. Inmates will also receive two stamped envelopes and writing paper each week. In addition, paper and envelopes are provided for legal mail, free of charge.

Revenue generated by the commissary program is spent on items used by and for inmates. Examples of these are chairs, books, law library materials. TVs, board games, indigent supplies and so on.

Idaho Code §20.607 requires the Sheriff to seek reimbursement for incarceration costs from persons sentenced to jail. The cost is $25 per day, up to $500 (20 days) per incarceration.

You can place money on an inmate's account by visiting the Bonner County Jail. During jail visiting hours, we accept cash, cashier's checks, money orders or government issued checks (example - tax refunds, etc.).

Other Questions

If you have other questions, please call the Bonner County Jail at (208) 263-8417 ext. 3090 or 3091.


File a Complaint Against or Commend a BCSO Employee?

If you have a complaint against or would like to commend a Bonner County Sheriff's Office employee, call Lt. Cindy Wright, Office of Professional Standards, at (208) 263-8417 extension 3202 or e-mail her at To download the form, click here:BCSO - 150 APPRECIATION-COMPLAINT FORM (Revised 6-13-12).


Get a background check?

Public Information Requests

The Idaho Open Records Law gives you the right to request any document or electronic record created and maintained by the Bonner County Sheriff's Office, but there are restrictions on what information can be released.

Law enforcement records are different than other public records:

  • Any open, ongoing investigation must be completed before any records about the incident can be released.
  • Victim and witness personal information must be protected. All information regarding juveniles will be removed from all released reports.
  • Release of information must not jeopardize a person's right to a fair trial.

Idaho law restricts the release of some types of information. For example, records about matters that are under investigation or that show law enforcement investigative techniques cannot be disclosed. In general, inmates and former inmates cannot receive records about themselves.

For more details see Idaho Statute 9-335.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request public records?

You can complete a written request form and mail or bring it to the Bonner County Sheriff's Office Records section at 4001 N. Boyer Road, Sandpoint, Idaho. To download the form click here ( Public Records - Download). Be very specific about the information you are requesting. If it is a record on an individual, complete names are required with dates of birth to insure that the right record is provided. Idaho law allows 3 to 10 business days for the Sheriff's Office to respond to your request. There may be a charge for this service.

Will I be charged for copies of the information I request?

The Bonner County Sheriff's Office has a fee schedule for larger records requests. You will be notified what cost, if any, you would be required to pay. For more details see Idaho Statute 9-338.

Are there any restrictions on how I can use the information I receive?

Generally, usage for any type of mailing, electronic or telephone list is against the law.

For more details see Idaho Statute 9-348.

How long will it take to get the records I request?

It usually takes 3-10 business days from the receipt of your request to receive your records.

For more details see Idaho Statute 9-339.

How will I know if my request has been granted or denied?

If your public information request is approved, the requested documents will be mailed to you at the address you provided or you will be called to pick up your records if you indicated that you wished to pick them up in person. If your request is denied, you will receive a letter explaining the reason for the denial.

For more details see Section 9-343.

How do I get a copy of a traffic accident report?

Traffic accident reports, including boating accidents, are released upon request, as long as the accident did not involve serious injury or death, which would require further investigation. You may download the necessary form for completion by clicking here( Public Records - Download.)

How can I check if someone is a registered sex offender?

Please visit the Idaho State Police Website link here

How do I request a background check on someone?

The Bonner County Sheriff's Office does not provide background checks for the public.

If you want to check the criminal record of a new employee or someone who may be in contact with children or if you have concerns about a person's past, you can request a statewide background check. These are done through the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI). BCI's address and phone number are as follows:

700 S. Stratrford Drive, Meridian, ID 83642 (208) 884-7135

How do I get a copy of someone's arrest record?

We are only able to provide an individual's arrest history in Bonner County for persons who have been booked into the Bonner County jail. If you need an arrest record for someone who has been jailed in another part of the state, we are not able to provide that information. Final dispositions on Bonner County arrests must be obtained through the Clerk of the Court located at 215 S. First Avenue, Sandpoint, Idaho.

Are there restrictions on the kinds of information I can request?

If you have other questions or need additional information, you can contact us at (208) 263-8417 or email us at:


Concealed Weapon License

Criteria for Concealed Weapon Permit

The following is the criteria for applying for a Concealed Weapon Permit:

  • Not under indictment for a felony
  • Not convicted of a felony
  • Not under Indictment or convicted of a violent misdemeanor within the last three years
  • Not a user of, or addicted to, marijuana, depressants, stimulants, or any other controlled substance
  • Never have been adjudicated as mentally defective or committed to a mental institution
  • Not a fugitive from justice
  • Not an alien illegally in the United States
  • Never discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions
  • Never renounced United States citizenship
  • Never have received a withheld judgment for a felony or violent misdemeanor
  • Not have an active warrant
  • The applicant is twenty-one years of age, or older.

Concealed Weapon Course

Proof of firearms training is required in order to get a concealed weapon license.


  • Concealed Weapon applications are obtained in our front office at 4001 N. Boyer Road, Sandpoint, Idaho between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Or you may download the form here: (Download)
  • You need to bring in proof of firearms training when you submit the application. This could be a military I.D., certificate from a hunter's education or other firearms training class.
  • You must be fingerprinted when you apply. Fingerprinting Hours9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays and 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 on Saturdays . There will be a fingerprinting fee of $15.00 cash only in the exact amount as the jail cannot make change.

Processing of the application and background check takes about 90 days. Your license will be good for five years.


  • For the fingerprinting/background check, $54.75 ($39.75 for the background check and $15.00 for the fingerprinting) to be paid when the application is submitted.
  • For the license, $22.70 is paid when the license is issued.


Licenses are valid for five years. To renew your license, you must come in 30 days prior the expiration date.

You will have to fill out a new application and turn into the front desk with $20.00.

Renewal fees:

  • There is no charge for the background check on a renewal.
  • The license is $37.70 ($20.00 at time of renewal application with a balance of $17.70 when the permit is issued from the Driver's License Office).

States that Accept the Idaho's Concealed Carry Permit:

While we do our best to keep this list up to date, states are constantly changing their laws and regulations. If you plan to travel DO NOT use this list as your official guide. It is your responsibility to call the States you are going to be traveling in and make sure you can carry a weapon in that State.

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • North Carolina
  • New Hampshire
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Pennyslvania
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming

Get a driver's license?

Click here for more information.

Have legal papers served?

Civil Process

Click here for more information.


Report Internet Fraud?

Internet Fraud

The crimes referred to on this page are international scams where the person committing the fraud is located in a foreign country. If you believe you've been defrauded by someone within the United States, please contact Bonner County Sheriff's Dispatch at (208) 265-5525 and request to speak with a deputy who can help you file a report to be investigated by detectives.

Do you believe you are the victim of an Internet scam? Have you been defrauded by someone in a foreign country? Here we will help you identify potential international Internet scams and tell you what you can do if you've been the victim of an online crime. The scams referred to here are international - the suspects operate in foreign countries and are not under our jurisdiction or that of any law enforcement agency in the United States.

Because we have no authority outside of the U.S., there is nothing Bonner County Sheriff's deputies or any other law enforcement officer can do about a scam artist operating in a foreign country. BCSO detectives regularly speak with people locally who have lost thousands of dollars as a result of online scams. There is little recourse for victims and often no way to recoup lost money, so it is critical to identify a scam before falling prey to it.

How do I know if I am the victim of an international scam?

If you are suspicious of a person with whom you have contact online about a possible financial transaction or business deal, there are a few questions that may help you determine if you are involved in an international scam.

Identifying the Scam: The following questions can help you determine if you are the victim of international fraud. If you answer "yes" to two or more of the following questions, you are most likely involved in an international internet scam:

  1. Were you contacted about a possible transaction or deal after listing an item for sale online (e.g. eBay, Craigslist, Z-Idaho)?
  2. Is someone offering to send you more than the asking price?
  3. Were you contacted in response to a resume posted online (e.g.,, or similar employment site)?
  4. Is the person someone you met in a chat room or on a singles/dating-related website?
  5. Have you been asked to use Western Union, Money Gram or another wire/money transfer service to make an advanced payment or to return excess funds? Have you been asked to forward excess funds to a third party?
  6. Does the transaction involve a cashier's check or money order?
  7. Is the cashier's check or money order purportedly needed to cover taxes or other fees that you must pay before you can collect your "winnings?"
  8. Does the person's writing (i.e., grammar, punctuation, spelling) indicate that English is not his native language?
  9. Is the person contacting you providing detailed instructions and urging "ASAP" or immediate responses?

Now that I've identified the scam, what can I do?

If you believe you have been contacted by an international scam artist but have not lost any money, immediately stop all communication with the scammer. You can report the suspicious activity through the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

If you believe you are the victim of international internet fraud and have lost money in a transaction, your bank or other financial institution may require you to file a police report. If you live in the city limits, please report this to your local police department. If you are in the county, you may file a report by coming in to the Bonner County Sheriff's Office at 4001 N. Boyer Road, Sandpoint, Idaho. After filing your report a case number will be assigned which you can provide to your bank or other financial institution.

Home | Community FORCE | Marine | Detention Center | How do I?

Drivers License | Civil | Records | Animal Control | Concealed Weapons Permit | Press Releases | WANTED | Sex Offenders | Report Criminal Activity

Bonner County Sheriff’s Office
4001 N. Boyer Road
Sandpoint , ID 83864

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Web Site by,

(208) 263-8417 Fax (208) 265-4378

Office Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday

Drivers License Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday

Booking Information:
(208) 263-8417 ext. 3005

Crime Reports  VINELink Victim Information and Notification   Sex Offenders Search Bonner County Sheriff's Office Facebook pageWhat's happening in your neighborhood?